The Technical / Vocational Education and Training is Multi- sectoral in nature. Each ministry/department in Central as well as State Governments is responsible for manpower development in that sector. While some offer regular formal or non-formal courses, others draw from the general pool of educated and trained manpower.
The higher secondary vocationalisation programme aims to develop skilled manpower through diversified courses to meet the requirements of mainly the unorganized sector and to prepare people for the world of work in general through a large number of self employment oriented courses, not precluding wage employment orientation of many courses. Through diversification into production and service oriented courses, it is desired to reduce the aimless pursuit of higher education and thereby reduce pressure from the tertiary education.
In 1989-90 there were more than 150 courses in different states which are grouped under the major areas of agriculture, business and commerce, engineering and technology health and paramedical, home science and humanities. The design consists of theory and practice relating to the vocational field, related subjects, language and general foundation studies which includes entrepreneurship. during that time a total of 168.680 students were enrolled in the first year of the two year programme. There are more than 5000 full time teachers teaching these courses.
* Students between 14 to 25 years of Age, relaxable upto 28 years for SC/ST, 45 years in case of ex-servicemen and 35 years for handicapped/widows and separated women.
* Passed minimum admission qualifications laid down for the trade in which one intends admission. It varies from 8th to 12th Standard.
New sessions start from August every year. Advertisement for admission appears in Newspapers in June/July every year. Prescribed forms and detailed prospectus available in each I.T.I at nominal cost, 10/15 days time for submission of application form is given. Separate application form for each trade and for each I.T.I is required.
Strictly as per merit based on the percentage of marks obtained in the qualifying examination or higher examination from a recognized school/board/university for each category of trade.
* J D T Islam Orphanage & High School, P.B. No. 1702, Jamiath Hill, Calicut-673012
* Ansari Vocational Training Centre, Ansari Centre Perumpilavu, P.O. Karikkad, Dist. Trichur-680519
* CIC Society Vocational Training Centre, Colthara, Calcicut
* Mukkam Muslim Orphanage Committee, P.O. Mukkam, Dist. Kozhikode-673602
* Kerala Vocational Training Centre, Kartika Building, West Nada, Kodungallur-680664
* Mitra Niketan Vocational Training Centre, P.O. Vellanad, Thiruvananathapuram
* Amulya Industrial Training Centre, amulia Building, Banerji Road, Ernakulam, Cochin-682005
* Koduvally Muslim Orphanage Vocational Training Inst., PO Koduvally Distt. -673572
* Kamad Industrial Training Centre, Tirukad(PO) Malapuram(DT)-679351
* Faith India Bhawan Puthencruz PO Ernakulam-682308
* Kripa Bhawan, Chunangamvely, Erumathala PO Aluva-683105
* Naipunya Vocational Training Centre, Pongam Koratty East, Trissur-680308
* Institute of Co-operative Management NCCT, Munda Vanmugan, Pooja Pura Trivandram-695012
* Peevees Public School Nilambur-679329 Kerala
* St. Xavier’s Computer Centre St. Xavier’s College for Women Aluva-683101
* Skiltek Computer Centre Ist Floor Bus Stand Bldg. Kaloor, Kochi-682017
* M.M. Mathew Memorial Education Trust I.C. College Building, Thodupuzha East-685595 IDULKKI (Kerala)
* Sterling Institute of Food Technology XX/958, Court Road, Manjeri-67612 (Kerala)
* Jyothi Bhawan Madonna Social Welfare Centre for Women, Pullnvila-P.O. Trivandrum-695526
* Kerala Vocational Training Centre, P.O. Callur Opp. Koyile Hospital, Pallikuma – 670004
* Vinita Vocational Trg. Centre. 1st Floor, Paul Arcade Building, Angamaly – 683572
* Holy Cross Vocational Trg. Instt. Palampra P.O. Kanjirapally Kottayam 686518 (Kerala)
* Fr. Paul Parakattel CMT. Santhigiri Rahabilitation Instt. Vazhithala P.O. Thodupuzha – 685583
*Integrated Rural Development Society (IRDS) Kaduthuruthy P.O Kaottayam 486604 (Kerala)